Saturday, September 24, 2011

Book Pick of the Week - Librarian's Pick

The Year We Were Famous by Carole Estby Dagg

If you are looking to read great historical fiction, then I highly recommend this book.  Ms. Dagg tells a story based on the real life adventures of her great aunt and great grandmother, Clara and Helga Estby, who walked across America from a small town in Washington State to New York City in 1896 to try and raise money to save their family farm.  If they can make the trip in 7 months, a publisher has agreed to give them $10,000.00.  As you can imagine, Clara and her mother face unbelievable hardships in their journey across the country but they also have a fabulous adventure.  At a time in history when women did not even have the right to vote (and you will learn a bit about the suffrage movement), their trip across the country by foot, is an extraordinary tale.  I could not put this book down.  I recommend this book to  any teen in grades 7-12. Read and enjoy.  I am hoping that the author comes out with a sequel soon!

No comments: